Saturday, July 21, 2012

violated

Has something ever happened to you in your life that completely made you feel so vulnerable??

I've seen a lot and been through a lot in my twenty-eight short years but nothing has made me feel so violated than the one small incident that happened yesterday.

In short, Mark was hanging out with some (so-called) "buddies". Some things went down between them and they stole Mark's cash, his day old new cell phone and the most important thing, his keys. His keys with my car keys, house keys, etc. on it.

I've never felt so paranoid, so afraid. I'll take the loss on the cash and the phone. I'm glad that Mark is okay (even after a trip to the hospital only to find out that one of the guys had put something - read: roofie or drug of some kind - in his drink). But I'll tell you what I'm not okay with - someone having full access to my car, to my house and to all of my possessions. Talk about a sense of fear, vulnerability and stress.

Mark is nice to anyone and everyone he meets, I honestly think he's too nice to people most days but he insists that "they just need a hand", or "they just need someone to talk to", etc. but this time around, he got dealt a bad hand of no-good people and took advantage of him, of us.

So hopefully Monday night I'll eventually get to sleep when the maintenance guy will actually be allowed to make my apartment safe because apparently being cheap and not wanting to pay your worker for overtime is more important than my safety. Until then, you will find me at home looking for a new place to live.

Moral of the story: Be careful who you hang out with, never take a drink from a stranger and leave before it gets worse. I never thought I would be writing such post as this stage (and age) in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment