Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!


In honor of Earth Day, I'll tell you what I did to make the planet a little more "green"...
  • I took a 5 minute shower (they are usually 1o minutes)
  • I didn't turn on any lights until 10 pm (easy to do when you are gone all day)
  • I took the last of my plastic bags to Kroger to be recycled
  • I used fabric bags for all of my grocery purchases this evening
  • I watched the number of pages I printed today at work
  • I haven't turned the TV on all day
  • I went to work this morning with wet hair (which means I didn't use the blow dryer)
  • I cooked a vegetarian dinner and had a vegetarian lunch (that I packed). I am not a vegetarian but eating meat actually hurts the planet. (You can help curb carbon emissions in the livestock industry if you cut back on eating meat once a week)
  • I went the speed limit everywhere I went today (you actually burn less gas if you go 60 mph or less)

Here are some things that I do everyday that makes an impact on the planet:

  • I don't drink bottled water. Instead I use reusable aluminium bottles, or nalgene bottles
  • I pack my lunch everyday in a bag made of recyclable materials
  • I only start the dishwasher when every inch of it is full and I literally cannot fit another knife in it
  • I re-wear pants, cardigans, sweatshirts, etc. so I don't have as much laundry to do all the time (don't worry, I change my underwear everyday) :)
  • I recycle when I can. It's hard to do when you live in an apartment with not a whole lot of extra space and no one to give you or pick up a recycling bin
  • I pick up litter whenever I see it and I do not litter
  • Some of my cleaning products are environmentally friendly (some of them are not, but I'm working on it)
  • Most of my bills automatically come out of my checking account and I can view statements online so I am not using any extra paper by getting bills and statements in the mail
  • I practice the 4 R's (reduce, reuse, recycle, re-wear)

By no means am I trying to save the planet by myself but I try to do my part one "greener" thing at a time and one day at a time to help protect the Earth so that one day my kids can have a much cleaner planet than what we are living in today. What things have you done today to help save the Earth? What are some things that you do everyday to be a little more "green"? Happy Earth Day y'all. I hope you try and make...
Peace, hugs, and smiles,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment