Tuesday, October 12, 2010

cooking up some new stuff!

If you know me, one of my most favorite things in the world to do is too cook (and of course eat - because believe you me, I'm a great eater!). My palate loves when I try new things but don't worry, I still love me some comfort food! Mark is my guinea pig bless his heart, because whether or not something tastes good, Mark will still eat it - now that's what I call love :)

I have a wide variety of cookbooks and I even have a binder (that I just finished organizing) full of recipes that I have clipped and collected over time and placed in their appropriate categories. Since grocery shopping is more thrifty for us than going out to eat, I have been cooking a lot and trying new recipes, tweaking recipes, or creating my own. Having an allergy to gluten (wheat, barley, and rye) it's sometimes really hard to find good food to eat, but it doesn't stop me from trying new recipes. I tweak the ones that I want to try or if it's something that I can't really tweak, Mark gets to try it on his own (he loves when he doesn't have to share dishes - especially if it's the good stuff). I never not make something for him just because I can't eat it - the man loves his food!!

Side note: A lot of recipes actually aren't labeled gluten free but they are indeed actually gluten free based on the ingredients needed that don't have gluten in it.

On Sunday, I sat down with my binder of recipes and made a menu for this week. Here is what Mark and I will be eating (or have already eaten):


Sunday - Pan-Seared Tuna Fillets w. Homemade Maple Ginger sauce (I can't give you the recipe because I made it up and I don't measure)
Monday - Mozzarella, Mushroom and Pepperoni Meatloaf w. Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Tuesday - Garlic Herbed Salmon with Cheesy Arepas and Baguettes w. Gorgonzola Cheese and Honey (Mark will have to eat these all by his lonesome)
Wednesday - Gluten Free Chicken and Veggie Stuffed Crust (with Fresh Mozzarella) pizza
Thursday - Gluten Free Pretzel Chicken w. Honey Mustard sauce and Spicy Steak Fries (homemade, of course)
Friday - Skyline Chili Spaghetti w. Gluten Free Spaghetti and Garlic Bread (homemade)
Saturday - Dinner with my dad at an undecided restaurant
Sunday - Tilapia with Fresh Herb Butter and rice

If you want a recipe for any of the above recipes, let me know and I will be happy to send it to you!
As far as desserts go this week, I am making Caramel Apples and Giant Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (NOT courtesy of Betty Crocker). I have a really easy recipe that doesn't call for all kinds of crazy ingredients that most GF recipes call for.
This week, I challenge (and encourage) everyone to try something new this week and let me know what you have tried! Happy Cooking!
Peace, hugs & smiles,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment