Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sheila's Pancakes

One of my most favorite things to eat is pancakes (hence my blog name) and I was DEVASTATED when I could no longer eat pancakes due to my gluten allergy but not long after that, a dear friend of mine, Sheila, was so kind to send me a recipe for Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes (which I now refer to as Sheila's Pancakes) that she found in a magazine and I can't stop making them...and eating them. Since they are so light and airy and delicious and small, I can eat a million of them and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Most gluten free recipes call for some crazy things but this one has basic staples from your kitchen and tapioca flour (which is $2.99 for a box in most supermarkets near the flours). Sure you can buy a GF pancake mix but that sets you back about $5-6 bucks which I personally don't think is thrifty at all, but whatever you choose, I'm happy to hear that you like eating pancakes too. Since I love this recipe so much and I love how easy it is, I would love to share it with you. Even if you don't have celiac's disease or an allergy to gluten, I think it's worth a shot to try. After all, my boyfriend loves them more than regular pancakes (he says they aren't as heavy as the regular ones) and that says a lot.

Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes (Sheila's Pancakes)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. Sift together tapioca flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; stir into buttermilk mixture just until ingredients are moistened (mixture will be slightly lumpy).
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop 1/4 cup batter per pancake into skillet and cook until light golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with maple syrup and banana's or confectioners' sugar; or spread with strawberry cream cheese and roll up. Serves 4.

I've actually tried them rolled up with homemade raspberry cream cheese, syrup and bananas, and even strawberry's and whipped cream. They are simply delicious so thanks Sheila! You are thought of everyday but even more so when I make these pancakes! Happy Pancake Eating!

Peace, hugs & smiles,

J

2 comments:

  1. I am humbled and honored to have helped out a friend in such a way! I love you and have many more recipes where that one came from if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so stinking excited to finally have the recipe for Sheila's Pancakes!! I myself am a huge pancake lover so this makes me want to lose my face!! yaaay! :)

    ReplyDelete