Saturday, September 4, 2010

Thrifting

I love going to thrift stores. Sometimes I buy and sometimes I browse. Regardless of what my intention is, I simply love the simplicity of thrift stores. I love looking at things that belonged to other people, to see how other people may have decorated their homes, or the kinds of things they used to use, or the clothes they used to wear. Thrift store items tell stories. The items in the thrift stores may have meant something to someone or it just may have been another useless item or a gift that they no longer wanted, used or liked. They come from all sorts of backgrounds, places and people. Thrift stores hold an endless amount of treasure. Whether it’s old or new, there are things that can be brought back to life, things that can be used for other purposes, or things that can bring a smile to someone’s face. I have purchased brand new things and old things that are now new to me. I have purchased mason jars (for storage of my cooking utensils) to playing cards (for endless games of nerts playing at church camp) to brand new baby clothes (for my nephew) and of course books. Nothing brings a smile to my face more than walking into a thrift store, especially when I see the book aisle. Nothing beats paying 29, 49, or 69 cents for a good book. It’s apparent in my past posts about books that I love books. Collecting books is a thing that my mom’s side of the family has done for decades and I just so happened to fall into the book collecting phenomenon (or craziness) that comes from the Stephens Family. What I’m trying to say is that I miss it. I miss browsing and buying things at the thrift store. I miss finding a “treasure”. This whole unemployment thing has kept me at home reading books, trying not to make myself go crazy, trying to think of new things to do, new posts to write about, new projects to start and as I start planning things for my future and all the ideas that I have, all I want to do is go to the thrift store to see what I can obtain to make those dreams come true.

Peace, hugs & smiles,
J

1 comment:

  1. You are so the queen of thrift stores!! The only thing you forgot to mention is the AMAZING amount of cards you were able to score for summer camp at thrift stores!! :)

    ReplyDelete